WINNIPEG (October 16, 2023) – The Racquetball Canada Western Championships get underway October 20 at the Glen Allan Recreation Complex in Sherwood Park, Alberta. 50 players from four provinces are competing in the three-day tournament, which is being hosted by the Edmonton Racquetball Association.
- 50 players from Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Ontario
- Competitors will include some junior national team members who are using this as preparation for the upcoming Junior World Championships in November.
- Also competing are Roger Harripersad of Calgary (Racquetball Canada Hall of Famer) and Paul Shanks of Edmonton. These two competed together internationally for Canada as national team members.
- Bob Bear of Edmonton, who worked alongside the founding members of Racquetball Canada is also competing. The founding members John Kempo, Howie Rankin and Ken Wilson were all from Edmonton and are inducted into Racquetball Canada’s Hall of Fame.
- Racquetball Canada’s Western Championships. This event will be held in Alberta for the next four years, alternating between Edmonton (and area) and Calgary.
- The tournament includes several age and skill divisions with players from age 12 to 79 registered to compete.
- Depending on the division, the format will include both round robin and elimination bracket play.
- The tournament is open to the public free of charge.
- Glen Allan Recreation Complex, 199 Georgian Way, Sherwood Park
- Play begins Friday, October 20 at 5:00 pm.
- The final schedule has not yet been set but matches will generally run until about 9pm on Friday October 20 and Saturday October 21 and begin at 9:00 am on Saturday, October 21 and Sunday October 22.
- Draws will be posted about 48 hours prior to the beginning of the tournament at the following link.
Click here to link to the draws and results. The draws will be posted by prior to the tournament beginning.